SA Summer Synoptic Chart – 1
How can we see from this Synoptic Chart that it is summer in South Africa?
- The South Atlantic High Pressure and South Indian High Pressure are far south
- The Mid-latitude Cyclones are far south and will miss South Africa
- There is a low pressure over all of South Africa
- The temperatures are high over much of the country
- The South Indian High Pressure is blocking the path of the Mid latitude Cyclones. This compresses the isobars ahead of the frontal systems and results in high wind due to a high pressure gradient force.
- There is a low pressure off the east coast of Madagascar. Tropical cyclones develop in this region and sometimes reach South Africa. This low pressure can be clearly seen on the satellite image.
- Despite the low pressure over much of the country, there is very little cloud.
- You can see the Mid-latitude Cyclones on the satellite map.
- The front furthest south is an occluded front.