The following synoptic charts are of Coastal Lows in different positions on the coast of South Africa.
- Coastal lows are a dominant weather feature along the South African coast.
- Coastal lows migrate along the South African Coastline from West to East.
- Coastal lows are characterized by a large change in weather from warm, dry and light offshore wind conditions to cooler, moist and breezy onshore weather. This is due to a combination of the clockwise airflow around the Coastal Low and its migration from west to east.
- Ahead of the coastal low the offshore wind (from the land to the sea) is warm and dry
- Behind the coastal low the onshore wind (from the sea to the land) is cooler and moist.
You can clearly see the Coastal Low off Cape Town on the satellite image below.